The Calvary Baptist Church has been a beacon of faith, hope, love, and learning. She has served not only spiritual needs but reached out to the community of Baltimore and the state of Maryland. Her influence has reached throughout the nation and around the world.
Calvary’s first pastor, Richard T. Reed, ordained at the Leadenhall Baptist Church, was called to pastor the Antioch Baptist Church in a predominantly white neighborhood in Northeast Baltimore. The trusteeship of the church was vested in the Maryland Baptist Union suggested that the church move. Thus, in 1921, Pastor Reed believed that the church should own its own edifice, and the Calvary Baptist Church was organized as an independent body.
Original plans for the church property in a selected area were abandoned when racism and bigotry plagued the congregation. Services were held at other locations until a premise was secured in West Baltimore. When the Depression came, Calvary relied heavily on her stalwart members for financial support. The church had intended to remain at the original location to serve the particular need of the inner city, but due to the city’s redevelopment plan, Calvary was forced to seek a new location.
In 1968, Calvary purchased its present location at 3911 Garrison Boulevard. During the past 10 years the facility has undergone major renovations including a remodeled sanctuary, offices, kitchen, and dining hall, heating and air conditioning systems to name a few. We have also installed a state of the art sound system.
From its origin, Calvary was blessed with the initiation of many ministries: Vacation Bible School, Music Ministry, ministries for Seniors, Couples, Men, Women, Youth and Young Adults, Children, monthly prayer breakfasts, Christian Education, a licensed day care facility, Drama, Pre-Membership Care, Health and Grief to name a few.
Calvary has been blessed throughout the years with leaders who have been called and ordained by God to shepherd the faithful flock. Each has had a major impact in the development of the church
Reverend Richard T. Reed (1921 – 1946)
Reverend A. P. Townsend (1947 – 1958)
Reverend Lorenzo Graves, Jr. (1958 – 1987)
Minister James K. Ames (Acting Pastor 1987 – 1988)
Reverend Dr. Haywood A. Robinson, III (1988 – 2004)
Reverend Michael S. Coles (Interim Pastor 2005) PICTURE NOT AVAILABLE
Reverend Dr. Stephen J. Russell, Jr. (2006 – present)